Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Whither Outsourcing?

Image sourced from http://www.outsourcereporter.com

Few days ago, a colleague sent me a link on how outsourcing has affected Americans, and during our coffee break, lamented that not all is well with outsourcing and many Americans are losing their jobs and suffering. I later went to the site and read through some of those angry outbursts. Before I go into my reaction to this, I want to present some of them.

I am ABC customer (sic). I can't believe I am calling in to India for my financial info. A Third World country people where the law is a joke have my bank account numbers, social security, etc. I can't believe it. Somebody could rip me off there and then I will be powerless to prosecute. Unreal. On top of that, the bank screwed up and I asked for a refund of the bank fee and the Indian customer rep started bargaining with me. This is not a Bombay bazaar, dude.

Another cries hoarse about the jobs going to India:

The trend is that when a position is open-posted, XYZ Management (the VP level) routinely sends the work to India, bypassing qualified individuals in the United States, for cheap overseas labor - which is inferior in ever way to the US workforce.

This is something at the activist level:

Write to Congress, your state Senator, the President and ask them why companies are allowed to import cheap labor on L1/H1 Visa's when there is an American needing that job. Ask Why American workers are being forced to train their cheaper replacement and then laid-off.

And finally, of course, my personal favourite:

I'm beyond the concern for privacy, I'm concerned that my American culture is being diluted into global mush. I don't want my ATM to ask me for a language preference, I live in the freakin' USA!


Now over to me. Five years back, when India signed GAAT, a treaty to accede to World Bank's reform programs, thousands thronged the streets and protested against selling western products in India. They feared that the US products will kill Indian industries. But the pundits of New Economy laughed and said that's the result of globalisation, which leads to consolidation.

When Kentucky Fried Chicken was launched in Bangalore (I was there), many Kannada activists gheroed the outlet and shouted slogans. They said KFCs policy of making genetically modified chickens will not only kill the local poultry industry, it will also lead to health hazards. KFC scoffed at these allegations. A few days later, some angry protesters broke into KFC and destroyed some of their equipment. The media portrayed this as narrow-minded reaction.

Similar protests happened for the launch of Coca Cola too. Those who opposed to Coke coming in, said Coke and McDonalds are an epitome of what we call 'American Culture' and Coke's entry will spoil the 'Indian Culture'. An RSS spokesperson even said, 'Why do you want to drink Coke. What's wrong with nimbu pani'?

Actually you don't have to always drink nimbu pani. Thumbs Up was a very good cola drink available before. But there was another claim. Pepsi opened employment opportunities and over 10,000 people were employed by Pepsi. Perhaps equal number by Coke too.

What many forgot was another fact that Thumbs Up was not the only cola drink available. There were local cola brands like Kali Mark, Bovonto, Campa Cola, and believe me, a brand called Mappillai Vinayaka (Vinayak The Groom). Thumbs Up was brought by Coca Cola. Some of these local operators later turned into becoming bottling units for Pepsi or Coke. But many brands died a slow death, resulting in loss of jobs, especially in the rural areas. A private study estimated that close to five lakh people lost jobs due to Pepsi and Coke's entry into India.

Many people in the US asked why people the middle east hate them. There are many reasons. But surely, one of them could be because Americans enforce their lifestyle and culture onto Arabs they don't like it.

Of many complaints I have read about, this 'cultural erosion' is one of the strongest emanating from the middle east. But the west dismisses it saying they are actually 'helping' the people world-over lead a better peaceful lives.

My contention is not about whether the US culture is rich enough or not. I feel that they do have a great culture and I personally like their focus on freedom and human rights, at least for the American people. But trouble arises when they laugh at the rest of the world and their culture and their people. Outsourcing and the retaliation from this Web site is a classic example that people all over the world regardless of their religion, race and economic status, are just same. When their own survival is in danger, they bring culture, nationalism, race, self-reliance and everything else into the argument.

The people who were part of this site have called Indians as cheap, third-world people, thieves, and inferior. While I can understand their frustration, I raise my eyebrows when they can't understand our frustrations on Coke and Globalisation.

I know that this site is just a small and a very minority voice that is not going to impact much. America has gone too far into the Outsourcing jungle and it's impossible to go back. But this site reminds me that those crying hoarse in the middle east, those Kannada activists and the left, after all, did have a point.

Finally, I told my colleague, that when East Indian Company imported cotton from England and sold it in India. They did this to support the cotton weavers back there. In order to do that, they forced Indian cotton industry to shut shops. This resulted in the infamous Cotton Famine, due to which 10,000 people in Bengal alone died. Now the jobs are coming to east from west.

Perhaps life has come a full circle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that we are through on this "Globalisation Bashing".

Maybe I am prejuidiced because I personally have benefitted hugely through globalisation. But then such small things have never stopped me from giving "fair" hearing to the otherside.

Neither has it stopped me trying to tell my side of the story.

I remember a conversation we had about some weavers who were weaving substandard cloth and providing it to the Tamil Nadu government. The government continued to buy from them due to some silly electoral promise. I do remember the drinks you mentioned in your article, but the fact remains I used to detest them, not because they weren't cool or because they weren't promoted by Michael Jordon, but because the drinks were yucky. I dont care how many people the industry employs if they are going to use MY money to subsidise THEIR ineptness. I buy Coke or Pepsi not because they make me feel good but because they do their job.

As an aside, then and now I still prefer and choose Thums Up. So the entry of an American giant has not cost good Indian jobs, its just cost inept Indians their jobs, which is fine with me.

Coming to GATT and other such treaties. In my youth I too made the folly of thinking of these as bad for my country and its people. But as it turned out, all those things they "forced" us to do helped us take their jobs.

Coming to the "culture" part. India has a fabulous culture of imbibing things and making them "Indian". We took things from the Mughals, the British and other who came to "conquer" us, and we conquered them.

As a Catholic it always surprises me how the "velluku" (lamp) looks so right inside the church. It does not rankle when we dress our women in sarees or put jasmine flowers on their hair. Or when we wear the white mundu.

The culture argument is often used by the insecure. The ones who are secure in their culture dont worry about what they will lose but look to see what they can gain.

Most of the regional wars we are saddled with today - Kashmir, Sri Lanka, Ireland, Israel-Palestine - are a hang over from the pre-globalisation era. A time when everybody had to fight for the little resources they had within their boundaries. Today Ireland leads the way in putting aside generations of hatred in order to give the next generation a chance at peace. Ireland is the number on exporter of software to the US today.

When will the leaders in India-Pak, Sri Lanka and Israel-Palestine learn to do the same?

We are not fighting for tit-bits now. There is a large world out there. But it will be accessible only when the next generation is given a chance.

And the sooner we stop talking about globalisation in such narrow terms, the sooner we will see the opportunities.

The US exported manual labor to us, and created more brain-intensive jobs for themselves. India today is doing the same. Orpat, Intec and other such companies are outsourcing production to China.

It is all a cycle and it is available for any one who is ready to jump on to it.

For examples of peoples who have refused to see this look no further than our own Kerala and Bihar.

14 July 2006 at 15:51

 
Blogger R Girls said...

Very well said. Cant agree more. Everyone got to just accept it.

17 July 2006 at 13:00

 
Blogger Ravi said...

Excellent post Sridhar! Couldn't agree more on your points. But the people who complain in US are the elite class but by globalisation the people who get affected are not elite people but those who cannot afford one square meal a day. That is why I am against globalization in all fields.

Maverick, to counter your point - Campa Cola, Bovonto were never yucky - atleast IMHO. Opinions differ but the bottomline is that people *do* get carried away by posh brands and their advertising tactics. If they were inept, they would have faded off in the first place - not necessarily by Coke and Pepsi but by our own people.

20 July 2006 at 07:08

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home