Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Being Shyam

It's about people now. Perhaps the first time I'm writing about people. I want to write about Shyam. Full name Shyam Vallabh. Quite a podgy guy. Disheveled hair. Laziest I've ever met. Never comes out of his house. Rather never comes out of his sofa. He looks and moves around like a potato. And he remains lies at the sofa that resembles a couch.

What an intelligent guy he is? I don�t know if such a laziness attributes to his intellectual ability (I'm a hyperactive but dumb guy) but that's what he is. His sitting position in that couch and his facial expression of absolute bliss can only be matched by Stephen Hawking. His friends fondly call him Shyam Hawking.

He is passionate about very few things in life. But his understanding of those is paramount. His recent statement when I was in a deep depression will linger on for life. Considerate people are always unhappy. It's only the inconsiderate people who are happy. But the considerate ones get the lasting peace. Since then I've presumed that I'm an unhappy but a considerate one. I don't if that's true. But that thought gives me solace.

His smoking style has a stylish overtone to it. He closes his eyes while inhaling. He drinks quite fast. And eats only junk food. He detests nutrition. Often gets cold.

He keeps quitting his jobs and joins new ones. But every company he goes to and leaves don't get any better. I'm amazed at the speed and the panache with which he quits jobs.

I have this uncanny knack of comparing myself with the ones known to me and feel either good or lousy. With Shyam, the feeling is kind of mixed. Just as indefinable as Shyam is. I envy him for his lack of attachments. I loathe him for his laziness. I admire his genius. I detest his lifestyle.

But what can I do? Perhaps he has a similar note to write about me too.