Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Poverty and the multiplex movies

Before reading this piece, please read Swati's response to my previous blog. I'm not going to argue with Swati in this blog. I've never argued with her. Apart from admiring how beautifully she puts across her ideas, I have a few addendums.

I was not drawing any conclusions with Hindu's new design. But this has been my nagging question for a long time. The answer is perhaps what Swati has suggested somewhere inside her reply. Poverty has taken out the sense of beauty and leisure from our lives. We seem to be quite busy earning our dhal and chaval. In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, there's a three layer of gap between physiological and congnitive needs. Congnitivity is where the appreciation of novelty falls under. That's quite a distance to bridge.

That tendency is perhaps what is reflecting in our dirty pavements, torn, metal pieces hanging out of public transports, apathetic education system, graceless, insensitive movies, and drab, sexist novels.

Interestingly, to support this phenomena, any slick movie with a designer presentation is quickly termed as 'multiplex movie'. This is to indicate that such flicks are meant for people who have enough money to worry about gay relationships and the problem of the party culture in the cities.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always had one question in my mind, what can I do to bring in some changes for our society. My hitlist has the first point as, yes pulverize poverty, How??

First thing comes in my mind, Decrease the growth of Population. But How? My head goes for a swing when compared with the small European countries just doing great, for one reason is their population is less, so the poverty is less, so the strive to improve economy is more.

I think every single individual's attitutde should change..Discipline is the most vital say inevitable foible which many of us lack. Thats the first change to be brought into.

Sridhar, I think as said by you the knavish movies can take a individual to any extent.

Just as a witness to it Mallika Sherawat called for Cannes by Jack, but what for .(Stipping off)

Though should say with no ethics, she has made it with just one movie to Cannes, regardless what she acquires.

Actually we all lack interest in upbringing any new ideas or concept at our own palce. I really doubt if any kind of offers given to us(arranging competitions, cultural programmes,etc.,) by our own employer, how many of us would volunteer and how many of us will just fold our hands and watch...

So everyone has to ask himself / herself what change they can bring in than questioning about why someone brings in the change??

-Nandhu

20 April 2005 at 13:33

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please visit

http://barbienan.blogspot.com

:-)

21 April 2005 at 20:05

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home