Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Born on the Fourth of July

Case: Tom Cruise, Bryan Larkin, Raymond Barry, Carloline Kava, Kyra Sedgwick, Music: John Williams, Directed by: Oliver Stone

Image sourced from www.ecrannoir.fr/ stars/us/cruise/tom5.htm

Every time I turn critical of Cruise, his fans tell me to go and watch this movie. My preconceived hangups about him pressing hard, I reluctantly rented Born on the Foruth of July. Despite the hangups, I must admit grundgingly that he has done a fabulous job. The performance is quite powerful though the movie is disappointing. This will be the first movie set in the 60s that I would not have liked. Because apart from some faint Dylan in the background, some half-hearted references to civil rights movement and heavily about Vietnam, this movie represents very little of what I have conceived to be 60s America. To me, 60s America is Forrest Gump and Almost Famous. And it is also about hope, dream and rebelling. Born on the Fourth of July is about some hopeless patriotism, dreams dashing down and heart-wrenching hopelessness of life. Didn't touch any chord in me.

Nevertheless, that's not why I got down to write about it in my blog. This is a big director, big actor movie. But even a most gutsy actor in India can't do a role similar to this, nor a most gutsy director would make a similar film. The protagonist of Born on the Fourth of July is not a hero. Of course he is a hero if you want to look at it honestly. But the movie portrays that his patriotism is blind, his bravery is confusion, his regret is half-hearted and his fight is a failure. From the wrestling match in the school, he begins to fail and it stops only towards the end. I was surprised to know that it is a true story and this movie is based on the autobiography of Ron Kovic the real man.

I still can't substantiate why I wasn't touched by this movie. It could be because of the pulp patriotism, or excessive emotions, or the very theme, or just Tom Cruise. But I recommend you watch this. Because chances are very high you will like it.

Also, more importantly, you will never get to see a movie like this in Indian languages.

1 Comments:

Blogger Siddharth said...

when is the next article coming?

1 November 2005 at 09:59

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home