Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Taking Sides

As the heat on culture slowly dies down, another began, albeit expected. It threw open a few floodgates of thought process.

Here I go.

After the last post, many asked me if I'm a BJP sympathiser. before answering that, I should say I liked that term. They perhaps thought "Are you BJP?" would have been quite aggressive. Other day, during a discussion about Sania Mirza, I made a statement that Sania is getting so much of media coverage because she is a Muslim. Some one from the group retorted angrily, so you're a BJP supporter. The last straw was Swati's remarks that said "you BJP brigade".

Gosh.

I actually wasn't being critical of Sania when I made that statement. Incidentally, that's not my statement either. Columnist Zia Ul Salam wrote an article about this point. And I agree. Before reading that, I felt the euphoria on Mirza to be unnecessary and couldn't figure why. Now I do.

To continue on the thought process, How does quoting from some columnist's views make me a BJP sympathiser? Is it because I agree? Thankfully, the columnist happens to be a Muslim lest he would have been branded as an RSS sympathiser.

We seem to be in a tearing hurry to brand people and attach tags to them. I think I raised this idea a few blogs before too. Now, however, it's becoming a lot clearer.

We are uncomfortable with people with neutral leanings. At worst, we do not believe that there are neutral people. I believe it too. With a shade difference. I believe that there can be ideology-agnostics. I would like to believe that I'm one.

Nevertheless, the practical life does not leave you to remain one. For instance, regardless of your neutrality, you have to vote for someone. Abstaining from the polling booth may make you look like an intellectual. But you aren't contributing to the democractic process you so passionately criticise.

I believe in voting and selecting my representative. In order to do that I have to take sides. While I do so, I'm very clear that I do not become a member of that party. I weigh them based on their ideologies and past record and how exactly that fits into my aspirations for this country.

Considering that, I think Congress has done a lot more damage to this country than BJP. From Emergency to puppet governers to Operation BlueStar to 1984 Sikh riots to Shah Banu to Kashmir to nationalisation drive, the list is endless. BJP has its list too. Starting from encouraging Bajrang Dal, giving sanctity to Islamic fundamentalists by launching VHP brigades, smashing up card shops on Valentine's day, moral policing India, they too have their share. A keen-eye would have noticed the absence of Babri in this list. That's a different topic however.

That said, I believe their insistence on common-civil code is necessary for India. Abolishing article 370 is long overdue. At the risk of sounding like a rustic, I'm happy for our nuclear capability and feel strongly that Kargil was prevented from escalation purely because of our nuclear stand-off. Though initiated by Manmohan, economy performed at its best during BJP's ruling and the BJP still remains far less hypocritic than the congress about reforms.

Our pundits expected 34% FDI for our economy to touch 7% growth. During the last year of the NDA rule, the actual FDI was 24% and still our growth touched 8.6%.

The media do not propagand these things because hailing any achievement of BJP is a scar on their secular fabric and they can be branded as being backward. For instance, post-Tsunami, Outlook eulogised the relief works of Jamat-e-Islami and Ramakrishna Mission . The absence of RSS's name, which did fabulous job in relief was conspicuous. The mark of a secular intellectual lies in his ability to bash BJP and Sangh Parivar.

I refuse to belong to that group.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

?

-- swati

5 March 2005 at 09:27

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6 March 2005 at 15:44

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6 March 2005 at 15:44

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6 March 2005 at 15:44

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6 March 2005 at 15:44

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6 March 2005 at 15:45

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

What's that Swati? If you want to shoot, shoot. Don't give me such looks!

6 March 2005 at 15:47

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aare what i succintly wanted to ask is:

what the f*** dude?????

hey don't take my comment to mean anything hostile. grant your friends the right to poke some fun. everyone makes fun of me as a 'bloody commie', but really, i know no one means anything hostle!

as for the... erm... cosmetics- its true! i read an article in the TOI last wednesday abt them!

even if you are a dyed in the wool RSS person (which u say u r not)- surely u see the humor of cow urine after shave and dung ball slimming pills?

;)--swati

7 March 2005 at 11:09

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

Hey I got the humour about the cow urine and I didn't take your '?' seriously. Actually I guess you didn't see my joke there either. I forgot to add a smiley. :-(

Well, I'm neither an RSS person nor BJP. Even after repeated clarifications, my friends still call me Sangh Parivar! Well, I must start taking it like how you do about the 'commie' stuff! :-)

Go ahead and poke fun friend! This country and I need a lot of humour to keep going!

8 March 2005 at 04:39

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the congress has been in power from the birth of independant india thru most of its exsitant.only 7 years of independant india(vajpayee government and morarji desai government)has had governence which did not involve the congress.in that context the nation is what it is because of congress.the bjp has mearly built on the groundwork and infrastructure built by successive congress governments.and do remember it was rajiv gandhi and later p.v.narasimha rao and manmohan singh who brought in liberalisation and economic reforms.-siddharth

8 March 2005 at 04:41

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nana.. you have soft spot for the saffron brigade and you cannot deny that. From your adolescence you have been inspired by the color. One discussion during the smoke break will prove that point.

And about Sania I dont agree that she received all the adulation because she is a Muslim. It's more to do with her nationality, gender, and age. People all over the world woke up one day to realize that for the first time an unseeded Indian 18 year old girl could defeat tennis pros whose ranks were in within the top 50.

-A

8 March 2005 at 10:15

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is apun ka amith only na?

btw, i think the country is making this big hoop-la abt Sania coz she has a really great pair of... er... lets say... EYES!

;)>
--swati

8 March 2005 at 11:18

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home