Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Identity

Last evening, I was caught in a rather impetus group discussion on current politics, especially Tamil Nadu politics. I was cornered by six people that constituted a Rajini fan, a DMK partyman, a Hindu-bashing-protestant-supporting Christian, a congressman and two mute spectators. As I began crawling into their war of words, I was asked a very pertinent question. "Which party do you belong to?".

That shocked me into silence. They did not believe that I don't belong to any party. More precisely, they thought it is not possible for someone to not belong to a party and yet talk about politics. And worse, they refuse to argue until I stated my stance. It is as if I had my agenda hidden and conveniently driving them towards it.

My question: How many of the 60 million people in Tamil Nadu are like this? Are there any sane thinking lurking somewhere? That confused me.

I tried walking out of the group. They didn't let me. I perhaps became their don't-belong-anywhere toy which they can play around with. I said I have no ill feelings and left.

I really don't have any ill feelings. I only have concerns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home