Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

The curse of the cross belt

Two recent and countless other incidents prompted this piece. I was in a discussion with a friend on religious fundamentalism and world terrorism. This somehow led to casteism and Indian varnasram. During the conversation, on some contentious point, my friend suddenly popped in this bomb, 'Sridhar, you're talking like this because you're a brahmin. You'll talk differently if you were a Dalit'. That silenced me and ended the discussion. Because I know it's futile telling him that I'm thinking in certain ways because of my conviction rather than the family I was born into.

Another Friday night out to celebrate my friend's new car led to discussion on heritage and freedom struggle. I explained who V O C Iyer is and his contribution to Tamil literature. I also explained why he is called the grandfather of Tamil language. People were spellbound and wondered how I knew this. My ex-boss, who was around, clarified simply stating that 'he knows because he's a cross belt'. (cross belt is a slang for brahmins, referring to the sacred threat they wear diagonally across their sholder)

This time I tried in vain to establish that I know this not because I'm a cross belt, because of my interest in Tamil literature. No one listened.

This is not the first time this happened. My ex-boss in Hyderabad had the uncanny knack of sparking off a debate and when it reaches its peak, dismissing it mercilessly with the statement, 'you brahmins always talk like this'.

Strangely, I don't get the answers for the questions that I raise during those debates. I only get rebuked for being a brahmin. I presume that the atrocities of my forefathers must be really harsh for the rest to have such a contempt over the current generation brahmins. I don't deny that some of my relatives still wear their 'cross-belt' identity on their sleeves. Within fifteen minutes of a conversation, they begin to exasperate about how those 'lowly class' people who should be living shamefully at the outskirts, are dominating every strata of the society today. 'This is Kali', another will utter dismissively (kal yug).

But that lot, I guess, will bound to be around for some more time. Like there are still some Ku-Klux-Klans and neo-Nazis operating elsewhere, this aryan-supremacy will continue to prevail in certain pockets. However, I would like to believe that the majority doesn't care anymore. For me, I have moved far away from the attitude and thoughts of brahminhood. I know very well that it's for others to certify but from my experience, I have -often consciously- defied every trait of brahminism with relish.

These attempts, however hard I try, will never break myself away from this taboo. The venomous campaign against the brahmins by the politicians have been extremely successful in making the brahmins villains. The Ranbir Senas go around massacaring the Dalits in rural Bihar and in Keeripatti, the upperclass Devar community refuses to let a Dalit contest in their Panchayat election. Haryana Congress' cadres insisted that only a Jaat be made CM and the 'high command' gives in. Yet, no one gets targeted for being a Jaat or devar. Laloo still is at the helm of affairs despite brazenly defending Ranbir Sena and their crime against dalits. But Sridhar will carry his Brahmin cross for the rest of his life because perhaps long ago, his great grandfather refused to let a dalit enter a temple.

Or am I talking like this because I'm a brahmin? Perhaps this blog would read differently if I were a Dalit?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its simple funda and mindset about brahmins in the view of non-brahmins to seclude the cross belts from rest. I feel brahmins for whatever reason their thinking is pretty high and they are sensible and logical in prime ways.. Being a cross-belt rest of the pepole should understand that the brahmins fight up every phase of life, starting from getting the sophisticated BE or MBBS. FC , then come back with 98.8 % so that we can try to give u a professional seat, If not , then u a dalit, just come up with some 50%, you are most eligible to be an engineer or a doctor.. Does the cross belt hold any value here..

And by default it became that the top order politicians or the best of any industry becomes brahmin just because of their intellectual level and the brought up by the families and the priorities set by the ancestors. Education was the prime motive behind every brahmin family. So all the cross belts tend to be more knowledgeble.

So sridhar if someone letting you down or your knowledge and interests are not being well taken, they need to educate themselves and you never need to prove anything...

Let them also read about VOC, bharithiyar,vajpayee or jayalalitha...and extend their wisdom across castes and religions

No one drives anyone. The lifestyle is just revolving around the same defined fashions.So things start, go around and come backt to start.

Cross Belt is never a curse its a Boon infact....People seldom knows its worth until experienced.


-N

7 May 2005 at 22:10

 
Blogger Sridhar said...

Hi Kavitha

I am able to view your comments and thanks for the same. And do I know you?

Nevertheless, please keep visiting my blog and continue offer your comments. I really value them.

12 May 2005 at 18:36

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home