Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Volte-face

As of 15th June 2005, I have stopped subscribing to The Hindu. From the next day, I started reading Deccan Chronicle and Indian Express. As of now, it still is a cultural shock to me. I have been reading Hindu ever since I care to remember and when it comes to brand loyalty, I guess newspaper should come next only to cigarettes (are there any ordinance for referring to to cigarettes in blogs, Mr. Anubumani?). When I was in Bangalore, I was reading The Hindu. When I went to Hyderabad, recalling the old 'When in Rome' phrase, I tried DC for a while but gave up soon to return to Hindu. Until recently, I was quite excited about Hindu's attempt to redesign their layout and even written a piece about it.

So what went wrong? A few things. The layout that I was so ardently appreciating seems to have made a huge dent in Hindu's focus on the content. Over the weeks, I figured that I was skimming the pages so fast I reached the last page even before I finished the coffee.

Hindu, in the wake of DC launching in Chennai and TOI's never-dying threat of opening a Chennai edition, wanted to somehow cater to the young readers. That without losing out on their loyal readers who are middle-aged and above. The content was diluted but not sufficiently enough to make an impact. The result was a very superficial attempt to satisfy two distinctly polarised reader group, which at least in my case, fallen flat. I strangely, belong to neither group. I relish Vikram's endless bantering on Anniyan and also lap up David Crystal's concerns about ethnic linguistic conservation. I couldn't get either of it satisfactorily in today's Hindu.

Deccan Chronicle, on the other hand, feeds me unabashedly on Anniyan to fashion shows to every Page 3 stuff I want. And Indian Express offers serious and often stinging views on current affairs. And this combination costs me 2.50/-. That is one rupee less than Hindu.

My friend and a Hyderabadi, Shyam used to call Deccan Chronicle as 'Indias only adult newspaper' and I used to joke that the publishers should print the statutory warning 'Not to be sold to minors' on DC cover. Nothing much has changed with Chennai edition except that while I willingly seek a Page 3 trash, I have Indian Express to provide the intellectual balance.

Additionally, I think, my reading pleasure is more important than the pride of loyalty. As a rebel, I should initiate and lead the 'Quit Hindu' movement. Recently when I told my friend I did this, he was surprised and said that his dad, who is in 60s, also moved to DC. I hope Hindu is watching this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Prashanth said...

Came here through Srivatsan's blog.

I heard DC has a daily bridge column. Might be worth subscribing to for that alone!

20 June 2005 at 14:51

 
Blogger brihaspati said...

Hey I was browsing through your profile and saw that you like J K and so do I

I was not aware of any other blogger who like JK.

Cool

21 June 2005 at 19:36

 
Blogger brihaspati said...

I used to be an ardent Hindu reader when I was in Madras. But the past few times, when I returned to Madras, The Hindu felt like a strange beast. I was disappointed with the new format. The paper seemed to have traded content for Pizzazz. I would any day take balanced but bland reporting over jazzy but bordering-on-untrue reporting. I am not implying that DC or TOI do that but I am wistful for those old days when a tumbler of filter coffee and The Hindu would have more than made my day.

Now, neither do I get the Coffee nor the daily....

21 June 2005 at 19:41

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its has if you have lost something of your growing up years. A sense of pride used to be there when I say I read the Hindu. But now I just don't feel like picking up the paper. It feels like trash.

23 June 2005 at 07:23

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home