Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Two Ls

I have had this favourite phrase 'Americans are bad at two things, Liquor and Literature'. About both, my conviction has been proved right again and again. Recently my friend recommended Catcher In the Rye by J D Salinger. I tried reading the book despite the warning that it's Bill Gates' favourite. I couldn't go past 30 pages. I didn't know where the story was going and since it was about world in the eyes of a cynical loser, I found myself asking, what's the point?

Another friend was shocked when I told him I haven't read To Kill a Mocking Bird. Well, to be fair, I did try. I couldn't follow the weird slang-tinged language, which was a major deterrent. Later I went in for a compromise and saw the movie. After watching it, I realised something. Americans get very pretentious when they get serious. To Kill a Mocking Bird attempts to say something but it takes itself quite seriously and hence comes across quite shallow and pretentious.

The writers who have affected me deeply were French, British and of course Indians. Till I turned 25, I did not know Roger Waters (and Syd Barret) is English. And when I heard even ColdPlan is a British band, I squealed and said 'no wonder'! I used to find Erica Jong amusing but grew out of her quite quickly. On the other hand, I still find Maugham relevant and get goosebumps when I re-read Herman Hesse.

And, just for the records, I don't like Bourbone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Siddharth said...

sridhar catcher...rye is renowned because it redifined what a conventional novel must be like...it does not have a orthodox plot and is just a long 200 odd page monologue...and it is one of the best critiques of the american way of life...holden caulfield is a part of all of us...the part that is angry,frustrated and still idealistic...

kill...mocking bird is a fantastic book...the movie is ordinary and dont use it as a benchmark 2 judge the book...in the book boo radley is part of the backdrop all the time as the kids grow up...atticus,the children's black housekeeper,the innocent convict-all of them are such wonderful charecters...u must read the book...it has inspired numerous books including our very own god...small things...

i will leave u with a passage from the book-

" Neighbours bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbour. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what
we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad."

27 July 2005 at 12:49

 
Blogger Miya said...

"To kill a Mocking bird" is a terrific book. I can understand why you are having difficulties with the strange language (I had a Prof. from Louisiana and it took me a long time to understand his speech). The book handles some very serious topics like racism and human nature in a very beautiful way...

29 July 2005 at 19:39

 
Blogger brihaspati said...

I have always wanted to read To Kill a Mockingbird. I have not seen the movie either. But I have read a lot about the book and the movies.

Like Ramya says, it does sound like an astute commentary on race and racism in America.

As far as the other L goes, I am faithful to good old European wines.

4 August 2005 at 19:09

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You obviously don't like "bourbon", if you did I am sure you'd spell it right.

I haven't read "Catcher in the Rye", so I wont comment on it. However, I have ready "To Kill a Mocking Bird", and I will vouch that it is a fabulous book.

Coming to being pretentious. I dont think it can be avoided when you are trying to get a message as serious as racism across to an audience who are sure that it is okay, worse who think that is it correct.

In the real world most decisions are choices. The "good" people are the ones who choose the lesser evil. There is no perfect solution. For every solution that benefits someone, there is another who loses. It just depends on which side of the fence you are sitting at a given point of time.

- It is great to protect animals, but people lose out.
- It is great to make space for people, but animals lose out.
- Build a dam and farmers will get regulated irrigation, but tribals lose out.
- Dont build the dam and the tribals have ahome, but the farmers lose their crops.

It is hard to not be pretentious when writing about such topics.

Yes, there are those that just put forward the situation and let the reader or viewer make his/her own decision. But then it is a type of story telling. In some stories you preach what you believe in, in others you lay out the facts and let the audience decide.

Finally, read "To kill a mocking bird"!

10 August 2005 at 08:15

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home