Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Pottermania

Image sourced from: www.veritaserum.com

Yes, I haven't read a single instalment of Harry Potter. But for now, I'm enjoying reading all the news about the latest Potter book. That's because I find the whole thing hugely amusing and with a child-like curiosity I'm lapping it all up. For instance, I don't know how to digest the news that someone has sold five million copies of her book within an afternoon of releasing it. I've read a lot of best sellers in my life and used to be excited when I see the boldfaced and big-lettered 'MILLION COPIES IN PRINT!' on the cover. That basically means that world-wide, all translations included, the book has a million copies in warehouse to be sold in another few years. As an aspiring writer, I'd be a runaway hit if I manage to sell a lach copies in India.

I read news that are quite exciting and can't help wondering what if my book were the subject of this news. Amazon registers 1.5 million fully paid pre-orders. One month before the release, the book enters number 1 in the bestseller list. An army security is organised for the trucks transporting the copies. The bookstores sign an agreement with the publisher for not releasing the copies before 12.01 am of the release date. An adolescent commits suicide on the rumours of who dies in the sixth instalment. This who dies itself has become a sensation and on the release date at least three people have asked me if I have the information knowing fully well that I haven't read even one page. The Regional Director of Microsoft who is on a visit to our office can't wait for the meeting to get over so that he can take a cab to Landmark to pick up his copy. The kid who has pre-ordered a copy wants to go with a security gaurd on the release date because of the fear that he will be robbed off his copy!

Still, I haven't even touched the surface of the enormity of the Pottermania. The religious fervers of Star Wars, Rajinikanth, Windows 95 or even Ford Mustang come nowhere near the magic wowen by J K Rowling. How many out of sheer love for the book and how many out of the pressure to be part of one of the biggest events of the year. But it's actually immaterial. It's a very commendable thing it's not a movie, a computer game or a rock show but a 650 page book that's attracting such a following, even if the book is about a worn-out underdog-orphaned boy in the neighbourhood who turns into a 'Chosen One' magical wizard. I know it's a sacrilege saying this and my apologies to the cultists. Ater all, I'm an unbeliever.

I went through the site of Rowling and the sheer arrogance of being the richest woman in Britain is brimming through her words. Albeit understandably. I don't know if I'll even communicate with my fans if I were selling five million copies in a morning. The fever and the rush is so infectious and also after getting that unbearably insulting look with the words 'Oh, you haven't read Potter?' from my friend, I just can't wait to go to the library to rent the philosopher's stone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Siddharth said...

sridhar...i liked ur excitement...it was like a child...which adults forget 2 be sometimes...btw harry potter is so popular because it is awesome...i have read the first 4 books and i was in the middle of the 5th when i started working at allsec...now i am going 2 grab the 5th and finish it...i have already guessed the character who will die in the 6th...but since u dont know anything abt harry...i wont spoil it for u b4 u even start...the great thing abt hp books is that its like animal farm of orwell...anyone from a kid 2 a grand old man will love it...and understand it at different levels...btw u seem 2 have a problem with underdogs...so are u calling harry 'a dark loser' 2 like kathir of rainbow colony *winks*...

16 July 2005 at 17:32

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Siddharth. I hated the Rowling cult and vowed never to read HP- just like I have vowed never to watch any Star Wars movie (i have not watched a single SW movie till now). But then, Alessandra bought me the entire set of HP books, and she challenged me not to like them. I am happy to say I lost the challenge :)

Sridhar, I think you need to read HP! They're wonderful. They take you away, for a little while, from the world that we live in, and to your compounded happiness and dismay you realize that you do want to get away from this world, after all. Magic, naughty children, twinkly eye teachers, horses and cars that fly, mothers that whip up delicious meals- you WANT these things! Heck, you NEED these things!

Read the HP series. I challenge you not to like them ;)

--swati

18 July 2005 at 06:25

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home