Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Refining Public sectors

I'm a very poor finance manager. That's quite a sophisticated way of saying that I'm bad with my money. I wanted some control and my friend advised that I use two bank accounts, one for my regular expenses and the other where I stash away some cash every month so that some savings get built.

I kept pondering on this idea and suddenly it struck that I don't have to open a new account. In Bangalore, I had a Syndicate Bank account with a couple of thousands lying unoperated. And also recalled seeing a hoarding that Syndicate Bank now offers any-branch banking. Bingo! My two account theory is ready! I'll use my salary account for my expenses and Syndicate for savings.

The real story starts only here.

There's a Syndicate Bank branch right opposite to my office. I went there in the morning. The same high-ceiling with long-stemmed fans whirring away with shabbily dressed men and women seated themselves among huge pile of dirty folders wrapped with cloth tapes adorned the office. I looked around and located the lady seated in the far right corner. I went to her, greeted cheerfully, showed my old cheque book and enquired about the any-branch banking. She looked at me scornfully, and said "This branch does not deal with network banking. You have to go T.Nagar branch".

I thanked her and left. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to attempt T.Nagar. But something told me that I must complete the operation. So I rode across to T.Nagar and landed in the 'Network Banking' branch. This, contrarily, was well furnished, air-conditioned office with computers at every desk. I located a lady in the far left corner. I went to her, greeted cheerfully, showed my old cheque book and enquired about the any-branch banking. She looked at me scornfully, and said "Go to first floor, ask for Mr. Ramesh Babu. He handles network department".

I thanked her and went upstairs. I located Mr. Ramesh Babu, a middle-aged man whose forehead was smeared with sandal and vermilion. I greeted cheerfully and you know what.

He said, "Which branch in Bangalore"

I said, "Millers Road". He looked my cheque book as if it's a fossil sample, went to his computer. "I need to check if Millers Road branch comes under network banking". I asked "But the hoarding said any-account any-branch". "Yeah, but that's what I'm checking". He opened some screen, typed "Bangalore" in one field and a small list popped up in a window. He rolled his finger on the monitor to read them one by one. Disappointingly, "Millers Road is not in the network".

"But it is Syndicate Bank, is it not?"

"Yes, but it's not in our network. So you can't access your account"

"So what should I do next"

"You can't access the account"

"Well, but, Can I atleast transfer the account to this branch"

"Yeah, that's possible. You have to write a letter, attach your passbook and cheque book and give it to us, we'll send it to Bangalore and once we hear from them we'll get in touch with you"

"I don't have my passbook"

"Where is it?"

"Well, I don't know. I must have lost it"

He paused for a moment. "Then you have to write another letter stating you have lost your passbook and attach it with this."

"Okay, how different all these are from opening a new account here. I mean, that would be simpler right?"

"Yeah. But you need to bring a person introducing you to this bank. And that person should have an account with us. With this transfer, you don't need an introducer. That's the difference."

"I'll think about it. Thank you", I left.

5 Comments:

Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

teething troubles for a bank in transtition!!

25 June 2005 at 18:25

 
Blogger Siddharth said...

sridhar u and i can afford the luxury of private banks...indeed they are more convienient...but people in rural areas need the nabards and the psu banks...our hsbc's and citibank's dont reach the usilambetti's and danushkodi's of our country...

for us the redtapism and the whole thing is a mess...of course i prefer a private bank...

but these psu's u seem 2 hate...however ineffeccient they are reach the am admi...

26 June 2005 at 04:49

 
Blogger brihaspati said...

The original post and siddharth's comments made me think.

I relate to the pains of Sridhar in managing his A/C. I dont expect the Govt. owned banks to be ultra-modern but it is high time they reduced their bureaucracy. It is so bad that it is bureauCRAZY.

Siddharth has a valid point. I dont think Citi and other private banks will service the people that need basic banking the most - the farmers, the small traders, street-hawkers and other vendors.

26 June 2005 at 15:58

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sridhar, I have an account which I use for share trading(one of my 2 accounts). You can as well use mine.I know afterall you trust me :-)

-N

29 June 2005 at 10:02

 
Blogger Sadish said...

I think this is not the problem with the actual employees you interacted.

This is the problem with the advertising department.

It takes long time for them to bring all the branches under one database, but all the other banks like HDFC or ICICI has done it already.
so with the peer pressure, they also want to compete.
So they took a shortcut and made these kind of advertisements.
Poor souls, what else they can do it better ?

12 July 2005 at 17:00

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home