Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Two directors and one and half movies

I saw two Tamil movies last week that gave me some new perception of people's tastes. Actually, not two but one and a half movies. I saw a movie called Bharati Kannamma (Bharati and Kannamma) fully and Idhayathai Thirudathey (Don't Steal My Heart) half. Bharati is debut by a village-bred director called Cheran. Idhayathai is is a dubbed version of Nagarjun's debut film Geethanjali by Mani Ratnam, the 'legendary' director of Tamil Industry. I'll explain that apostrophe later.

Cheran's latest film Autograph was a run-away hit and was critically acclaimed too. It won several Filmfare awards and a coveted National Award. I didn't know anything about Cheran till Autograph. For a perennial Tamil-movie-basher like me, Autograph was a whiff of fresh air. Autograph was a most satisfying Tamil movie I saw in a long time. I started learning about Cheran's background and realised that it is his fifth or sixth film. So I searched around for the VCDs of his other films. Believe me you can rent an Iranian movie in Chennai but a legal VCD of a Tamil movie is next to impossibility.

Image Courtesy: http://www.chennaionline.com

Cheran


I finally watched Cheran's first movie Bharati Kannamma. It was, as expected, a very well-made, honest portrayal of feudal-caste-structures in a typical southern Tamil Nadu village. Though mildly propagandist at times, Cheran generally stuck to the realistic portrayal of a village life. The actors genuinly human and non-heroic, characters are not pure black or white but in shades, and finally the ending is very believable, though a bit dramatic. But that's understandable.

Image Courtesy: http://www.ne.jp
Mani Ratnam


I picked up Idhayathai Thirudathe when I went to buy Bharati VCD. I struggled to go past half the movie. The scene settings were clever but artificial, dialogues were cheeky but pretentious, and the actors were good looking, well dressed yet pompous. But overall the movie is very stylistic. This movie came in 1989 and I remember, as a teenager, I went bonkers over it.

Watching it some fifteen years later, I felt quite depressed. Even post-Autograph, Cheran isn't half as celebrated as Mani is. I might even be tempted to add the caste-angle to the whole thing.

But I guess, it's not just brahminical. It's about style over substance. I feel we are overtly excited by the style -however pretentious- from the likes of Mani Ratnam rather than downright realism of Cheran. I still can't figure out how Autograph got the box office kicking. From the seventees, we applauded the stylish arrogance of MGR, deep, brooding and cigarette chewing Sivaji and the angry, young word-chewing Bacchan. And of course not to mention the style phenomenon called Rajini.

It's easy to understand why Mani Ratnam succeeded. People lapped up his hollow, yet slick Dalpathi or wordless pop-flick Agni Nakshatram. My memories of Idhayathai.. are quite fond and as a teen-ager, that movie fed my thirst to be hip. I wanted to run away to a nice lonely hill station and sing along down its valley, while a girl quietly followed me. I wanted a girl to come and ask me if I want to elope with her. Idhayathai.. showed me all that I wanted to do but couldn't. In a semi-realistic presentation, Mani Ratnam deceivingly made me believe that I'm watching a good movie.

Cheran shows you a village with all its failings. I'm a no villager and I've not spent a single night in any village. But I could identify with every character and their grayer shades of personalities.

Cheran's next movie, Thavamay Thavamirundu (literally, A long wait), I am hoping, coming a the wake of the hugely successful Autograph will be a path-breaking film. I'm also hoping that he sticks to rural Tamil Nadu, his strongest area. Post-Barathiraja, there was a huge slump in realistic and original portrayals of rural India. In the midst of pretentious, overrated copy cats like Kamal Hassan and others, Cheran comes with a huge promise. Let's hope he delivers Tamil Industry. Pun intended.

4 Comments:

Blogger Siddharth said...

lovely article sridhar!

very true what u say of cheran..i must catch up on his pre autograph movies..the great thing abt autograph was there is not a single person who i know who has seen it and has not been touched by it..

i think ur being a little unfair on mani rathnam..i mean mouna raagam,kanathil muthamital,et al were class!but yup some of his other films like ayutha eluthe have been pretentious..though i will watch it a million times just for trisha!!

u might like solla maranda kadai..simple film with no heroism..ur types i think :)

11 August 2005 at 05:58

 
Blogger Siddharth said...

after seeing the promo stills of Thavamay Thavamirundu which they have put up inside sangam theatre i am super excited..it has all the hallmarks of a great movie..i just feel it!!

14 August 2005 at 20:33

 
Blogger Kanishkaa said...

My interest in Tamil movies sunk quickly since the mid '90s.I am a bit of Tamil movie basher myself,often cricitcising the formula and story lines.the movies prior to that had more character and great music.For now, i generally stick to those movies which Siddharth recommends and Autograph is one of them.I swear by it and others too are carving to see the film.the story is so real that even the person next to you will have a similar tale to tell.and this was done in a shoe string budget.Cheran has certainly set an identity for himself and its about time the rest caught up.

18 August 2005 at 09:26

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice article, although I am reading it almost an year later. Recently saw the movie autograph and share ur views on that. It definitely was different from a lot of other movies.

jeyashree

ps.Also share ur like on mutton biryani. To me only that means biryani.

19 October 2006 at 19:11

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home