Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

On Writing

A very happy new year to you all. I know that a very few visit my blog, they are quite precious to me and I'm indebted to you for sticking to this despite my erratic posting schedules. A good news to those frequent flyers: This new year I intend writing more often. There are a few reasons why you should believe me.

1) I've just been gifted a brand new laptop by my fiancee. (An HP Pavilion D4000. I'm no gadget freak but this one is a real J LO)

2) I've got myself wired from home (Sify Gold Dial up to begin with - just being loyal to my employer)
3) I've installed some proofing and dictionary tools in my laptop. (I haven't used them yet)

If these are not convincing enough, this year, I'm marrying a woman who is going to nag me to no end about my frequent writer's blocks! For some strange reasons, she thinks I write well. So as you can see, I've thoroughly ran out of excuses for not writing. My real aspirations don't even begin with simply maintaining a successful blog. I'm still eyeing on that Booker, even though, worldwide, the importance for that prize is waning. And I have personally read a few insipid Bookers but heck, do I really care?

But there are certain important things I must do before that. Starting this year, I'm still figuring out what makes a good writing and style. It's not the exotic vocabulary if you don't have anything important to say. The important thing has to be told in an interesting way. I have failed as a writer if you are not reading this line because you must have closed this window and moved onto MSN Movies or Indiatimes Models Gallery. Giving a personal assessment, the readers of this blog are more interested in what I have to say than how I say it. I found that, except a precious few, others don't talk to me about my style at all. That's a real danger because, the moment they know my views on generally everything, they will stop reading me because they are not excited about my style, if I have one that is. So I reckon, the important task this year would be to work on my style.

I will start perhaps by identifying it!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here goes the guy and ofcourse you got no excuses. Sounds good. Also please get this motivation done to your would be wife too.

Let me get inspired by your writing and let me also improve mine.

Good Luck.
-N

9 January 2006 at 14:31

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've always found style to be secondary to content.

on your blog, you speak about real issues and you back them up with facts- quotes from newspapers, tv programs, etc. for me, your posts make solid, thoughtful reading, and style is the last thing on my mind after reading them. not because you have a bad style, but because one doesn't read your blog for style.

i would say you have your own style. and that is any days better than having a "good" style- say, if you should copy Garcia Marquez. after all, you are not writing magic realism.

you can rest easy about style :-)

btw, i started a new blog sometime ago (www.cactina.blogspot.com), and wrote there of a similar issue (language and thought).

--swati

11 January 2006 at 06:12

 
Blogger mandeepsg said...

bookers or no bookers i like ur style......keep blogging...

6 March 2006 at 13:54

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home