Sensitivity. Nothing irks me as much as a violation of human rights.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Travails of blogging

If you have read the comments for the previous posting, you'll know that I'm being confronted by a friend for not keeping in touch. I've not been mailing, offering 'I'm busy' tales, yet having 'enough' time to write blogs.

Yesterday, a colleague suddenly asked me 'how's your dad' and I, in a surprise wonder asked 'how do you know about my father?'. 'You had written about it in your blog mate', pat came reply.

Another guy who recenly broke up with his girl asked me how I coped with my own and wanted to know if I'm still in touch with my ex-girlfriend.

All this led me to believe that blogging is not all bed of roses. There are certain aspects of your life that are open to the world and it borders on exhibitionism. I was actually caught off guard when my friend pointed out my priorities about blogging versus mailing. And I was a bit ashamed about my friend's references to my ex-girlfriend.

Though I have consciously travelled far from using my blog as a diary, it still seems to have those traces. A professional columnist may not be writing about his failed love affairs and his family affairs. That perhaps is the message. I have a long way to go before I consider myself a professional columnist.

The format and design of the blog especially prevents one from breaking free from the designated format. I often thought of redesigning my blog with ample photographs and good layouts. To do that, I must buy a URL and run my own site. I don't know doing that will attract same number of hits. The objective is to essentially break free from the diary mode.

That is not to say that I was embarassed about my friends coming to know about my personal affairs. Some one, after visiting my blog for the first time was appalled at the personal details revealed in them especially in the older archives.

Though I don't subscribe to the term 'very honest' because there's plenty of gray shades in my life that I don't discuss in my blogs, I seem to be open about certain things which many consider private. Last week, while discussing this, a friend of mine remarked that anyone who knows me for six months can write my biography.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bah, ur blog is baby talk compared to the amounts of private details i read everyday on some other blogs!

-- s

21 May 2005 at 20:10

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sridhar i think it takes a lot of guts to talk about things like ur ex-girlfriend.it does not mean ur not a professional writer.dont limit urself to just journalistic writing.ur writing is broader.dont ever change ur style just because u dont think it is professional.

and oh btw according to the united nations j&k is a dispited territory...and it certainly is,though being an indian it may not be the politically correct thing to say.

22 May 2005 at 06:18

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

self praise at its best ! You have even beaten our clever politician on this.your blog looked like a sugar syrup with too much self praise, what about a break !!!!

22 May 2005 at 15:39

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sridhar, what makes professional wiriters boring and unattractive at times is their lack of personal touch. what i mean is that what they write is detached from their lives, in you blog you write about thigs which affest your life, things that are inspired by situations in your life, therefore it is very hard to write in a detached manner, without speaking about ones life. this is what makes blogging interesting, the personal touch, apart from the honesty found here, which is absent in professional writing.

22 May 2005 at 16:18

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey relax buddy..you are absolutely doing a great writing. i have read many a blogs, sorry its full of heartbreaks , love and a guy's miserable story of loosing his wife and what not..but what makes ur blog interesting is its got lot of social touch which makes not only me my friend to aske me everyday "Hey wats new in Sridhar's blog" ....

so keep going ---- No hiccups

-N

23 May 2005 at 08:37

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u package yourself very well!As the perfect guy,the revolutionary guy,the one with moral ethics and blah blah.Are you? Just curious :)

23 May 2005 at 12:00

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home